Saturday, September 26, 2015

Fall Movie Preview!

Words cannot express how ridiculous this Fall's crop of movies is going to be. Whether you want horror, sci-fi, comedy or drama, this fall has it. I predict, even a few months out, the closest Oscars race in many years. So now without further ado, my Fall movie Preview. Unlike my TV preview, these aren't ranked by how much I want to see them but rather listed by release date (because I can't possible rank how much I want to see these movies).

October 16th
Beasts of No Nation: This movie is directed by the mind that brought us the True Detective drug raid scene (youtube it). It stars Ildris Elba and should be gritty, dark and super good. Bonus! It's premiering on Netflix so you don't have to spend money on this one!

Crimson Peak: I don't necessarily go for these kind of movies, but everything about this has me intrigued. The cast (Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain) is top-notch for horror-fantasy movies and the director, Guillermo Del Torro, knows a thing or two about these kind of movies.

Bridge of Spies: I would have almost no interest in this movie EXCEPT that it stars Tom Hanks directed by Steven Spielberg. The fact that it's a WWII story (Spielberg's best period) is icing on the cake. NOTE: All three of these movies come out the same day, but then there isn't much for a while, so you can space them out.

Suffragette, Oct. 23: I'm not really excited for this movie so much as I think it will be really good and helpful for people to see. I expect a really good drama, but I doubt it to make many Oscar waves (except Meryl Streep for Best Supporting Actress seems like a good possibility).

Spectre, Nov. 6: I only recently watched the recent James Bond story arc, and boy was I missing out. Skyfall was excellent by any movie standard you wish to apply descending the "spy" genre with its greatness. All signs point to Spectre delivering just as much. Plus Christophe Waltz as the main villain.

Legend, Nov. 20: Tom Hardy plays twin brother gangsters in 1960s London. I love crime thrillers and Tom Hardy so I'm on board.

November 25th

The Good Dinosaur: My excitement for this movie crashed dramatically when I learned that Bob Peterson was no longer the director. Still, it's Pixar so it should be good, but don't expect it to come anywhere near Inside Out.

The Night Before: I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogan and I really like 50/50 which had both of them and the same director as this movie. That's enough for me to think this might be a surprisingly good comedy (or at least surprising to the rest of the world).

The Danish Girl, Nov. 27: This movie tells the story of a transgender artist long before that was close to being an acceptable thing. The cast is strong including Oscar Winner Eddie Redmayne (many people's pick to repeat this year) and director Tom Hooper (of King's Speech and Les Mis fame). In my mind this movie is probably one of four really big Oscar contenders.

 December 18th

Sisters: I think there's about a 100 percent chance that this movie will be really funny...and not be talked about at all when it comes out. It stars Amy Poehler and Tine Fey who are very funny people. See it sometime in the week after it opens because...

Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens: It finally arrives! I'm no where near as excited for this movie as about 100 million Americans, but I am excited all the same. I'm especially curious to see Adam Driver take on a big villain role and wonder if the story might center on him. One can only hope.

December 25th

The Hateful 8: I'm WAY more excited for this movie than for Christmas. Everything I've seen makes it look like Django Unchained level of great, and that's pretty stinking great. Tarrantino might have a long-shot at Best Director with this one.

Joy: I'm also really excited for this movie, reuniting Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper and director David O'Russell. That group made two really awesome movies (Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle). I don't really even care what it's about, I think it should be great.

The Revenant, January: Last but not least (like really REALLY not least) The Revenant. Leonardo DiCaprio. Tom Hardy. The director of Birdman. Do I need to go on? If you insist. It's also a frontier story of survival. I predict major Oscar wins for this one including an Oscar (finally) for Leo. The only caveat to that being the performance of Eddie Redmayne. At this point The Revenant is my pic for Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actor, as well as some editing categories. I don't care when it comes out in January, I'll be there.

I hope this gets you as excited about watching movies this fall as it does me! I'm super excited for all these movies and the stories they'll generate. Rest up for October 16th!

No comments:

Post a Comment