Thursday, May 14, 2015

A Few Short Reviews

Life's been full so I haven't posted much, but I did feel the need to spread the word about three artists I very recently discovered. They each only have a few songs at this point, but I want them to have a lot more. This isn't a ranking and isn't much of a review. It's more of just a "Here's music you should know" post.

First up is Thee Acquainted. Their EP is available for free on Noisetrade and will be one of the best free EPs you ever find. They have a great feel good vibe that a little punk rock and a little alt rock but is mostly just good music. My favorite song is Caffeine Kiss which is just a delightful song that everyone should know.

Next up we have Zella Day. She can be found on Spotify. Her sound is a slightly pop-ier Lana Del Ray sound which is to say, she's pretty fantastic. Her music is rich with literary references and other interesting traits making the listening experience enjoyable. Fans of Lana (which should be everyone) should definitely check her out.

Finally we have my personal favorite Melanie Martinez. Her debut EP Dollhouse can be found on Spotify as well. Her sound is also very evocative of Lana Del Ray, but what I love about her is the darker, more sinister tone to the songs. My favorite songs are Dead to Me and Dollhouse. Dollhouse is one of the best songs I've heard in 2015 with beautiful haunting lyrics describing family life as a dollhouse, but also placing the perspective of the singer as a dollhouse saying "I see things that nobody else sees". My favorite lyric, however, is "Everyone thinks that we're perfect, please don't let them look behind the curtains". I find her music to be beautiful, haunting and profound- many of my favorite traits of Lana.

As a final note, you should also check out Echosmith. You probably know their song Cool Kids and maybe even Bright, but the rest of Talking Dreams is amazing as well. That's it for now. Listen and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment