Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Game of Networks

I have already sung the praises of Netflix, but today I'm going to talk about various networks, including Netflix, and how they are in a unique position in the world of TV. Let me preface this by saying that I think 2015-2017 will be one of the most important stretches of TV history. The simple fact of it is no one watches broadcast TV anymore, so everyone is (rightly) going online. But this creates new challenges and dynamics that are really intriguing to me.

I see a few major players in the TV Game of Networks, but before I can identify them, I must categorize all TV networks into 4 main groups. Firstly is network TV. This group contains ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and the upstart the CW. Second we have what I term "basic cable networks" that include everything from USA to BBC. Third we have the "Premium" channels of HBO, Showtime, Starz and (sort of) Encore and Cinemax (I say sort of because Encore and Cinemax have almost by their own decision removed themselves from the fight). Finally we have the "Internet Players" which at the moment are primarily Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Having listed all that out in a confusing fashion, I will now identify the main players, or "champions" so to speak of each category. For Network TV, I determine FOX and CW to be major voices. In the Basic Cable realm I hold FX, AMC and to a lesser extent BBC as major factors. Premium is a two horse race between HBO and Showtime (Starz is trying valiantly to become relevant but so far they just aren't). The Internet champions are Hulu and Netflix, though I do see more promise with Amazon Prime's original programing than I see with Hulu's. This leaves us with the following players: FOX, CW, FX, AMC, BBC, HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu. I see these nine players as the major competitors in the Game of Networks.

The next section of this post will be spent identifying the leader in each subcategory before forcing them to face off against each other even further. First is the class of FOX and CW, which I will admit, is a tough race to call. The CW carries a great deal of promise and has established winning dramas in the very specific genres of "supernatural show" and "superhero show".  My intent there was not to come off negatively toward the CW. I have watched both Arrow and Supernatural and they are really good shows, but the CW has yet to prove to me that they are a well-rounded network capable of comedy. FOX is just the opposite where the drama landscape is sparse at best. I watch almost all of the comedy shows on FOX and none of the dramas, but from what I've heard Empire is really good as well as Fringe and House M.D. from yesteryear. Because of its track record I give the win to FOX as they are backed by history. They are the only comedic light I see for network TV.

We now move on to Basic Cable. As much as I love Sherlock and Doctor Who (and Orphan Black is probably really good too), BBC can't compete with FX and AMC. Sherlock did win some nice Emmy's last year, but the overall presence of the network resides almost exclusively in fandoms that make their voice heard when new episodes come out. These shows aren't winning Best Drama Emmys any time soon. That leaves AMC and FX. A year ago I would have given this win to AMC, but a lot happens in a year. AMC has without a doubt some of the best shows on TV, but with Breaking Bad finished, Mad Men about to end and Walking Dead losing some of its quality (or so I've heard), the network is in a tough place. Better Call Saul and Turn offer hope for the future, but AMC has slipped. FX is moving in the opposite direction and, like FOX, offers excellent comedy as well as drama. Fargo was the best new show of 2014 (there, I said it) and Archer and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia remain top comedies. This win goes to FX.

In the Premium fight, the obvious winner in HBO. Showtime has had some sort of good shows here and there, but I usually watch a few episodes of those shows and stop. They just don't deliver the high quality writing and characters to compete with HBO. Even Dexter, I show I really expected to like, let me down after a few episodes. I can see Showtime moving to a place of being more relevant, but right now, they just don't have the shows to take the crown from HBO. To HBO's credit, it is not only that Showtime is underwhelming, but HBO is overwhelming. True Detective, Silicon Valley and Last Week Tonight cover three distinct genres, yet all are excellent TV.

In the Internet battle, Netflix is king. I haven't had a chance to see Transparent or other Amazon shows which might be good, but Netflix is king. Refer to my previous post on Netflix if you need further convincing.

And the final conclusion. I don't know who will win the ultimate Game of Networks, but I think HBO and Netflix have the best chance. Netflix is what everyone knows and loves, but HBO quality is better. I love House of Cards, but it falls short of the quality of similar HBO shows such as The Newsroom. Either way, much like the current landscape of Game of Thrones entering season 5, there are only a few real players left in the game. We are in for a really interesting year as HBO tries to make their voice heard on the internet, but it is yet to be known if people will pay twice as much as Netflix for fewer options. However, true TV fans will and word of mouth will make HBO king again, but only if they keep it up.

As a final note FX and HBO are really relying on Fargo and True Detective to be good in their sophomore seasons. I'll write about this more in the future, but more so than Netflix, their future's are uncertain at the moment in terms of longevity. I have no doubts they will continue on as major players in the TV business, but we all saw how quickly AMC faltered, so you never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment