Friday, March 6, 2015

The Best Stand-Up Comics Hands Down: Part 2

I don't like rankings lists where they split them into multiple blog posts, but I have always been a big fan of hypocrisy. At least I only made you nice folks wait about 12 hours, which is long enough for you to have slept and checked out a few of the comedians I mentioned last time. So now here we are at the top 5, and let me tell you if you like comedy these folks can change your life.

5. John Mulaney- Discounting the truly abysmal failure of a Fox sitcom, John Mulaney can do no wrong. Though he's only had two specials so far, they are both pure gold. John combines many things that I like from other comics telling a blend of outrageous stories, quick jokes and absurd extensions of thought. His delivery is so dry and perfect giving fresh life to subjects that have been trod over many times. Of the two specials I probably prefer New In Town (available on Netflix) but my favorite bit is the dinner bit at the very end of The Top Part. I laugh so hard at that bit every time.

4. Bo Burnam- Some people don't like Bo claiming he's too much of a gimmick comedian, but that doesn't detract from his brilliance. My absolute favorite thing about Bo is the repeated longevity. Just the other day I was listening to one of his songs for the fiftieth time and only THEN got a joke for the first time. I have yet to reach the point where his jokes have gone stale. Like Demitri he is a master when it comes to crafting lyrics and puns. I probably envy his skills more than anyone else on this list. He is definitely on the more offensive side, but his comedy is the farthest thing from dumb I know. My favorite album is either his self titled release or Word Words Words (though you have to be a bigger lit nerd to get all of that one). His funniest bit is probably new math which delivers some of the funniest jokes I have EVER heard. Netflix only has .what at the moment, so find him on Spotify instead.

3. Jim Gaffigan- Jim was first real exposure to the current stand-up scene and I was hooked immediately. Tons of comics try to instill humor into real life experiences, but no one pulls it off like Jim. I reference him many times a day since he talks so much about all the day to day rhythms of life like food and laziness. I really have no problem with someone putting him as high as number one on this list. I think Jim is really the perfect middle America comic that nearly everyone can relate to in hilarious ways. He has a really defined style and personality that is impossible to match. Jim is probably the most quotable comic on this list and that makes him one of the greats. My favorite album is probably Beyond the Pale. My favorite bit might by Bacon but it's all so good!

2. The Sklar Brothers- This is probably my wild card on the list, but I attribute that to low exposure. I first knew about the Sklars on Cheap Seats back in the day, but they fell off my radar for many years after that. Once I rediscovered them they never slipped my mind again. Randy and Jason Sklar are twins who tell amazing stories about family, parenthood, sports, everything really and blend it with just a little absurdity. Once again I can't really say why I love them, but they think through life in a certain unconventional way that I can't explain. Their funniest album is Hendersons and Daughters but What Are We Talking About (on Netflix) is also great. My absolute favorite bits are Fairy Tales and Five Little Monkeys. Those bits capture why they are so great blending common material with an unforgettable style.

1. Aziz Ansari- Once you hit number 2, you all saw this coming (because I promised Aziz would make the list). Aziz just gets life as a 20 something better than anyone else. He understands how to blend pop culture with hypothetical stories and oddly heartfelt moments. He can be really crude at times, but he's developed in that regard too. Probably my favorite thing about Aziz is that what he says is super relatable despite it's absurdity. He also just understands how to see comedy in the patterns of life. All four of his albums are on Netflix (but pace yourself through them). My favorite is probably Buried Alive and I definitely can't pick a favorite bit. Watch them all then come back and comment your favorite!

So that is my list of my top-10 comedians. Please note that it was really hard to keep this list down to only 10, but the people on this list brighten my life in a ways no other entertainment does. I hope they can bring joy to you as well! Next week I'll probably rant about something, but for now enjoy the weekend and enjoy all this stand up comedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment