Monday, March 2, 2015

Animation Domination: Top 5 Animated Shows of the Past 10 Years

I wanted to make this a list of the top 10 animated shows of the past ten years, but when you consider that The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park and Family Guy all came out in 1999 or earlier, there weren't a ton of options left (since those are four concrete staples of animated comedy). In fact during the process of making this list, I only thought of 7 contenders for the top 5 spots, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. This is a list spanning over the whole of animated TV, except for anime (because I don't know it very well and it shouldn't be compared to this TV style anyway). The difficulty with this list is blending my "childhood" TV loves with my current more adult tastes. The 5 shows on this list are those that I can still appreciate fully at age 20. It should also be noted that the four staples I listed above are definitely four of the top 10 animated programs ever, so they should be regarded in a "league of their own" so to speak based on the impact they've had on the animated comedy genre and the longevity of the show. I'll probably look at them another day, but for now we'll leave them alone. Here are my top 5 animated shows of the past 10 years.

5. Gravity Falls- This spot is a total toss up between Gravity Falls, Mike Tyson Mysteries and BoJack the Horseman. All these shows are more hit than miss, but they all have a really small sample size to go on. When they hit it's nearly magical, but they can be forgettable sometimes too. I gave the spot to Gravity Falls because the first season filled me with a sense of hope for Disney Channel. Nearly every episode delivered a lot of funny wacky moments (not unlike another show on this list) that kept me coming back for more. I think Cartoon Network would probably handle this show better than Disney Channel, but they have it so I make due. I think I place this show at this point on the list because it almost has at least one really hilarious, weird, unforgettable moment and the characters are just amazing. It should be noted that there is a WIDE gap between the shows I considered for this five spot and the four I placed above it.

4. Bob's Burgers- This one is really close to the number three show on the list, but I think this four spot is appropriate. Bob's Burgers has to be the funniest or second funniest show on Fox's Animation Domination block and for good reason. The characters are unique individuals that still very much like a family. Paired with the remarkable voice talents of Kristen Schaal (also voices Mabel in Gravity Falls), Eugene Mirman, and H. Jon Benjamin (also voices Archer), the characters deliver winning lines many times an episode. I don't even think there's anything really holding this show back. It is truly as funny as it possibly can be given the content restrictions and premise. The Belchers are definitely one of my favorite TV families out there today.

3. Rick and Morty- I haven't found a lot of words to wrap around the greatness of this show, but it is really and truly unlike anything I've seen. On most shows if the plot is around a love potion, there will be a love potion and then some hijinks and a resolution. But Rick and Morty doesn't do that. When THEY have a love potion premise, the whole planet will change races multiple times and the resolution might be hidden if present at all. But you will be on the floor from laughing so hard at the witty dialogue and outlandish premises. The show was co-created by Dan Harmon who also made Community and it does have a Community feel to it in only the best ways. So far they haven't had many episodes, but I want them to have a lot for a long time. This show is a diamond in the rough if ever I've found one.

2. Archer- Archer is the funniest, smartest clever-ist comedy of the past the 10 years. That's a really bold statement since I'm crossing various genre lines, but I really think that's true. I think of Archer as something like an Arrested Development feel wrapped around a spy agency with a cast of characters that act like they're on Always Sunny in Philadelphia. If you are at all familiar with animated comedies, you will have no doubt already seen Archer so I won't beat a dead horse talking about why it's the best. Not to beat a different dead horse, but it comes down to characters. While the characters are super selfish jerks, they are hilarious. The writing rarely lags and the blend of sophistication and selfishness in Sterling Archer is magic. He is one of the funniest characters on TV. This show had it's rough patches in the fourth season, but rebounded mightily last year to place it back at the top of the animated world. If they can keep up this quality for another couple years, I wouldn't be surprised if Archer enters the conversation of the all time greats.

1. Phineas and Ferb- If I'm being totally honest Archer might be better, but in high school I was so unabashedly obsessed with Phineas and Ferb that I refuse to let it go just yet. Even if it is not the absolute best animated show out there, it IS the best kids show. The entire range of characters are well formed and very funny. The writing was top-notch, but is still really good. This show is winding down its run on TV, but I think it will continue to shape all ages for years to come. It is the perfect example of a show aimed at kids that is really WAY funnier if you're a little older and get all the jokes to other things. Phineas and Ferb will always be in my upper echelon of TV shows. 

That's my list! Please don't flood the comments telling me how much I overlooked Adventure Time because I've watched it a bit and for some reason I can't figure out, I just don't like it. Tell other things I missed though. Until next time, keep watching and I'll keep ranting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment