Thursday, August 6, 2015

My Definitive Summer Movie Guide Review

Back in late May with summer movie season just barely upon us, I wrote a really long and extensive preview of all the greatness this summer had to offer. If you didn't read that post, it can be found here: http://rantsrankingsandreviews.blogspot.com/2015/05/my-definitive-summer-movietv-guide.html. Now with summer drawing to a close, I think it's time to take stock and see where I was right and wrong, as well as shed a little light on things I overlooked the first time around. So now, in the same order I talked about them the first time, my summer preview recap.

Tomorrowland. I haven't seen this movie yet. Critics and audiences alike were pretty spilt about it. I do plan to see it in the near future, but that might not happen because this fall is positively LOADED with TV and movies that I'll need to watch. I predicted B+. General opinion has this at C- or there abouts, so I'll say I missed with this one (but no definitive claim will be made until I see it).


Hannibal Season 3. I fell behind on this show (For some reason I really fail at watching weekly dramas that aren't on AMC, FX or HBO). I did see the first 4 episodes and they were top-notch, so I will certainly watch the rest of this season. Maybe I'll binge it this weekend. I also want to draw attention to the fact that on May 20th I wrote, "I'm still fearful of this show going the way of other Bryan Fuller projects (Pushing Daises) and getting canceled too soon..." and on June 22nd it was (despite really REALLY good reviews). My thoughts on this injustice are a rant for another day. I just want it to be know that I totally called that. I predicted A grade in May and hold to that grade. A


Sense 8. I also haven't seen this one yet, but the reviews are strong. My A- prediction seems to be on track, but I'll need to get back to this one when I see it.


Spy. In May I thought this would be a B+, but it turned out to be a strong A. Significantly funnier than the Heat, all the pieces come together for a real comedy treat. Even more surprising, the reviews have been 95%, which is unreal for comedy. Maybe Rotten Tomatoes has seen the error of their ways, but I doubt it. Anyway, this is an extremely funny movie that all fans of Bridesmaids should appreciate a LOT. A (very near A+)


Inside out. I thought it would be an A+ but it turned out to be an A++ and as good as just about any other movie I've ever seen. I already sang the praises of Inside Out at length, so go read that post for a further description. If you STILL haven't seen it, get on it ASAP! A++


True Detective Season 2. I don't what is the deal with critics because this season is not anywhere near as well received as Season 1. I think because it wasn't as "star studded" they lost their minds while reviewing it. Seriously, I'm almost certain that I like this season MORE than season 1, though that it at least part due to the fact that I'm really studying the story this year. I will sing the praises of this show more soon I imagine. Critics don't know everything and True Detective is still exceptional TV at the level that only Netflix and HBO (and occasionally AMC/FX) can deliver. A+


Drunk History and Nathan For You. In an exceedingly rare intelligent programming move by Comedy Central (seriously, they don't know what they're doing most of the time), they moved the premieres from the dead time of summer to prime slots in the fall. Also on the REALLY long shot that Drunk History wins the Emmy for which they're nominated, ratings will skyrocket. I have high hope for season 3.


Spoils Before Dying. I've only seen the first third of the miniseries at this point, so I can't speak to the whole of the show, but I liked what I saw so far. I think my predicted A is right on point.


Minions: Haven't seen it, but the reviews have been middling at best. It looks like my B+ will probably be more of a B-.


Ant-Man. I was one of the few people out there really stoked for this movie, and it totally delivered. The writing was as good as any Marvel movie, the story was fresh and Paul Rudd was amazing. I predicted an A and it certainly was. 


Trainwreck. I haven't gotten around to this one yet either, but the reviews have been great. I plan to see this one really soon. It seems like my predicted B- will probably be closer to a B+ or an A.


Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp. This is a beautiful show in every way. It delivers on all the same levels as the brilliant movie while adding to the experience in new ways too. It reminded me very much of how Arrested Development handled their reboot for Season 4. Watch the movie then watch this show. It's brilliant in every way. A+


Rick and Morty. They aren't far into their second season yet, but I can already tell that it will be on par or better than season one. The pilot was ridiculously amazing. My A+ line of thought is right on the money with this one.


BoJack Horseman. Netflix kinda sprung Season 2 on me with very little warning, but it's awesome. Better than the first in many ways and a good show to tide me over until South Park, The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers and more return in the fall. A



Now a brief series of bullet points about the things I didn't have on my radar the first time around:


-Mad Max: Fury Road. I hadn't seen this when I wrote the post in May. It's one of, if not THE, greatest action movies I've ever seen. A+


-Vacation. Don't believe the poor critic reviews. The new Vacation reboot is as good as the original (at least from my 21st century standpoint) and is probably the funniest movie since 22 Jump Street. A+


-7 Days in Hell. Words can't descibe the greatness of this TV movie. It's Andy Samberg being as fantastic as he was in Hot Rod mixed with awesome interjections from Bill Hader and Fred Armisen. You don't need more than that. A


-The Gift. I might be reaching here, but this new movie has me really excited. Best reviews on a thriller since Gone Girl. I predict A.


That's all for now. I should probably stop saying what I'll do next because I haven't followed it yet. But you should expect thoughts on the Emmys, a few more Best Pic nominees and you will certainly get thoughts on Fargo soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment